Don’t Look Up: Netflix Film (A Review)

Introduction

This is not the typical article content I write on. I’ve previously written about the performance piece “For Colored Girls”. If you haven’t gotten the chance to read that article, please go check it out! Now, the film I will be reviewing today is a Netflix original film titled “Don’t Look Up”.

“Don’t Look Up” is a satirical film with a much deeper and purposeful meaning. The story follows the story of PhD student Kate Dibiasky (Jennifer Lawrence) and attending professor, Dr. Randall Mindy (Leonardo DiCaprio), after Kate discovers a comet hurdling towards Earth. Upon their discovery, they find out the comet hurdling toward Earth is so large that It would cause the extinction of all life on Earth upon impact. 

Throughout the movie, we see Diabiasky and Dr. Mindy contact professionals such as Dr. Teddy Oglethorpe (Rob Morgan), President Orlean (Meryl Streep), and news anchors Jack Bremmer (Tyler Perry) and Brie Evantee (Cate Blanchett). For better or for worse, all the characters grapple with the end of humanity as they know it.

Discovery

I discovered this film by chance while browsing Netflix’s streaming options during my winter break. The film caught my interest by seeing three big names I recognized from the film industry: Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, and Leonardo DiCaprio. Lawrence is known famously for her role of Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games film series. Meryl Streep played the Witch in the fairy tale musical and film, Into the Woods. Finally, Leonardo DiCaprio: an actor that has been a household name since his remarkable role of Jack in the film Titanic. 

I was shocked that a film with sure reputable actors had not been brought to my attention prior to finding it by chance on Netflix. These three actors, though b

eing personal favorites of mine, are world renowned and highly regarded professionals from films that can be considered American culture classics. Since this film seemed enigmatic and promising, I decided to watch it.

Impressions

I never would have expected the film to leave such a lasting impression on me. Of course, apocalyptic films and media aren’t alien to American entertainment. There have been many different takes on the apocalypse, the end of humanity, and the fantastical concepts of life beyond world destruction. However, this film doesn’t only address the effects of world destruction. It focuses on how modern society reacts to world devastation and impeding danger.

Throughout the film, the characters struggle to inform and convince the general public about the impending destruction of the world to no avail. However, their urgency is deflected with common phenomena of the modern world. From offensive memes to online political wars, the film addresses the ugliest parts of modern society. Overall, the film perfectly encapsulated humanity’s full denial of a natural disaster with fickle, selfish interests.

The film is meant to bring awareness to the severity of climate change. The characters grapple with the truth, fighting with people from many different backgrounds about irrefutable facts that describe all of humanity’s demise. It addresses the issue of not taking action because of not being able to see or tangibly handle the issue of impending danger. Most importantly, they emphasize how avoiding destruction is only possible if immediate action is taken.

Throughout the film, I both laughed and grimaced at the sad reality of the story. Even though the film is satire, it is realistic in more ways than one. The film does wonderfully in addressing the severe importance of addressing the dangers and worries scientists have expressed about the environment we all live in.

Final Thoughts

This is a film that everyone should watch. No matter the background, the film addresses the harsh truth that we must grow beyond our personal beliefs and work together to save humanity from our dying planet. If we don’t, humanity will suffer the worst consequences imaginable. Netflix has a website and information about climate change, natural disasters, and options that viewers can take to apply to real life. Whether it’s going greener, becoming vegetarian, or holding politicians accountable, they detail many ways that we as individuals can address the importance of climate change.

I decided to write this article immediately as to spread this information and share the lesson I learned from viewing this movie. Though I am not famous or have a large platform, talking about the status of the Earth and how we as individuals can prevent disaster is very important. You can find a link to the site for Netflix’s “Don’t Look Up” here.

Describing the film as an astonishing and remarkable film is a drastic understatement. I hope this review provides some incentive to go watch the film, visit the website, and educate yourself on climate change. The film has been released on Netflix and can be viewed with a subscription. Whoever you are or wherever you’re from, let’s work together to save the world we live in. One step at a time.