It’s Major Declaration Day!

Today, February 22nd, 2021, is scary, exciting, troubling, and stressful for a lot of us sophomores.

Today, we officially declare our majors.

I was so excited to tell my friends about declaring my second major in Korean after a lot of struggle in thinking about my career.

And although the action is as simple as clicking a couple buttons on WebSTAC, it is a day where many of us have to sit down and think about our futures. Some people get to college already knowing what they want to do for the rest of their lives. Others arrive with some interests in what they can do, while others have no idea what they want to do, and all of these are okay. Regardless of what category you fall under, many people make changes in their plans along the way because of all the new experiences that have had.

Some people came to WashU wanting to be engineers but are now majoring in international affairs. Others came dreaming of one day being the best architect they can be and have switched to be the best conservation biologist. Plans change, and these changes can be terrifying, but sometimes they are necessary in figuring out what we like, who we are, and how we want to become the best versions of ourselves that we can be.

The Rollercoaster of Emotions

I declared my first major  in Spring 2020 and it was one of the most satisfying days of my semester. I have friends who have declared a major last Fall and others who are declaring today. Some have laughed, have cried, and have felt unsatisfied. It’s normal to feel a whirlwind of emotions when declaring a major. For a lot of people, it determines what they want to do in their lives after college. Just know that things will work out for the better. I hope whichever major you declare will make you feel liberated.

A picture I took after meeting with the IAS Department to approve my major.

What Should You Do?

Current freshmen and incoming freshmen, don’t think that you have to rush to know what major will suit you. Take fun classes and explore to see what you like. More than likely, you’ll find a subject that speaks to you and will make picking a major slightly easier. Also, you will get periodic emails to remind you and guide you to picking a major. When that time comes, remember, whatever decision you take should make you happy!

How to Declare a Major