Senior Year and I’m Back!

Hello my fellow blog readers! It’s been a while since I’ve written a post because the senior life has been keeping me so busy! Now that I’ve gotten adjusted to my schedule, I can take the time to catch you all up on what’s been going on with my life.

The Summer

Over the summer I had the opportunity to intern with Abbott Laboratories Nutrition Division as a Quality Engineer. During this time, I was responsible for the validation of new equipment that tests for certain bacteria. This is a requirement by the FDA, because we must guarantee the consumers safety is not at risk. I also created a sustainable Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) documentation process. This was done by building a data repository pseudocode that automates the graphics generation for quarterly management reviews. 

I also had the opportunity to be brought back onto the CISTAR (Center for Innovative Strategic Alkane Resources) team, but this time as an Outreach Assistant. We teamed up with NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) to create a new curriculum for their summer engineering camp for kids. Our goal was to create a project that focused on chemical engineering. The reasoning for this was because in the previous camp years, all of the projects were centered around mechanical, civil, or electrical engineering. So we feared that kids were not getting adequate exposure to all the fields of engineering that they can pursue. Plus, chemistry is fun! I had a great time collaborating with my team to generate new ideas that the kids would enjoy. We successfully made a new curriculum and I cannot wait to see it implemented next summer!

Senior Year

Once my summer jobs came to a close, it was time to prepare for senior year. I knew that this year was going to be challenging for a couple reasons. The first being that the classes for senior chemical engineering students are the hardest ones yet. The second being that most classes are online due to COVID-19, so the continuation of virtual learning will be a challenge. Even though I was fearful of the difficulties I would experience during senior year, WashU has made this semester as smooth as it can be so far. It is evident that our professors spent ample time this summer structuring our classes to be taught virtually. I feel very organized even though 2020 itself is extremely disorganized. Our professors have also been very understanding about the fact that technology issues may happen and our grades should not be penalized for that. 

So far, senior year has been a year that I could never forget. COVID-19 changes a lot of the things we do, so we’ve had to get creative in generating our new norm. But I’ll save all the details of our new norm for another blog post! Stay tuned!