Taking the Metro: Best stops for the best sights

Coming from New York City, I must admit that I don’t know how to drive. I have a permit and hope to get my license soon, but I’ve spent my first two years at WashU not knowing the gas pedal from the brake. 

When I started my first year, I worried that this would pose an issue, but then I realized how easy it is to explore St. Louis without a car. Some upperclassmen do have cars, and it’s super easy to access inexpensive car shares right on campus, but if you don’t want to drive, don’t worry. I’ve had an amazing time traveling around the city using the Metro, which is free for WashU students. Earlier this semester, I took the Metro twice a week to go to my internship at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in Downtown St. Louis. I loved getting to see the city that way! Here are some of my favorite spots in St. Louis that fall right on the Metro line.

On my way to work

Get off at the Central West End stop to explore the neighborhood and grab a bite to eat

The Central West End is home to some of my favorite dining spots in the city. From El Burro Loco Mexican restaurant to Jeni’s ice cream shop, you won’t go hungry while walking the neighborhood’s picturesque streets. This stop is also right in the middle of the Washington University School of Medicine campus, so undergraduate students often take the Metro here to do research. 

Jeni’s ice cream. It’s delicious!

Get off at the Union Station stop for the Aquarium, Ferris Wheel, and Soda Fountain

I already wrote a blog post about Union Station, but I love this spot so much I can’t talk about it enough! Marveling at the marine life at the Aquarium and devouring a huge milkshake from the Soda Fountain makes for a perfect St. Louis day. But don’t forget to finish it off looking out at the city atop the 200-foot Ferris Wheel!

Get off at the Civic Center stop for a concert or hockey game at the Enterprise Center

One of my favorite memories from this year was going to see the Jonas Brothers perform at the Enterprise Center. Eight-year-old me would have been very jealous! The Enterprise Center hosts some of the biggest names in music throughout the year. And if concerts aren’t for you, you can see the St. Louis Blues play on their rink and hopefully take home another Stanley Cup! If you’re more of a baseball fan, just take the Metro one more stop and you’ll be at the famous Busch stadium for a Cardinals game.

The concert was amazing!

Get off at the 8th & Pine stop to go up the Gateway Arch

The most iconic symbol of St. Louis, the Gateway Arch is a must see for any WashU student. For an excellent view of both the city and the beautiful Mississippi River, travel to the top of the 630-feet high Arch through an unforgettable tram ride. Don’t forget to visit the nearby St. Louis Courthouse for a great history lesson when you’re done. 

Hanging out under the Arch

After your outings, just hop back on the Metro and get off right on WashU’s campus. It’s that easy! And if you’re heading home for the holidays, you can even take the Metro to the airport.