New Blogger Alert!

Hello readers! As a new blogger, I believe it’s necessary for me to give a basic introduction and a little information about me.

My name is Kaela, and I’m a new student here at WashU– new, but not a freshmen! I am a part of the Dual-Degree 3-2 Engineering program. So, I spent my first 3 years at a small liberal arts school in Wisconsin who has a partnership with WashU. I got my first degree in general engineering with a minor in chemistry and dance there. Now, I’m here working on my second degree in chemical engineering! Basically, I’m a fourth year student, but not a senior… Yeah, it gets a little confusing.

I’m originally from Dallas, Texas (go Cowboys!) and I grew up playing lots of sports such as gymnastics, lacrosse, dance, track, and field hockey. As you can see, I love being active, which is why I absolutely love the Recreational Center here at WashU. Outside of rigor of engineering classes, that’s where I spend a lot of my time. 

I am also a member of NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) and The Women & Engineering Leadership Society (W&E Leadership Society). NSBE is an amazing organization, because it allows the opportunity to increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers. The W&E Leadership Society is amazing as well, because it allows women to come together to be in an engineering space that’s not dominated by men. We also are paired with successful women engineer mentors who help us throughout our college journey!

I’d say that’s pretty much the run down of the life of Kaela here at WashU so far! I am really looking forward to exploring more opportunities on and near campus. Stay tuned!