Korean-Mexican Fusion? Surprisingly Good!

For as long as I can remember, food has been a central part of my life. It’s an instrumental player in my relationships, my culture, and my interests.  When my friends or family and I hang out, it always involves grabbing a meal together, whether it’s at one of our old favorite places or at a new place we decided to check out. Now that I’m in St. Louis, every restaurant is a new place, so it’s been exciting to try the food here and make new memories. 

A few weekends ago, my friends and I decided to get dinner at Seoul Taco on the Delmar Loop. We had heard many people rave about it, so we thought we’d go and see if it lived up to its reputation. To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of fusion food. I think the relatively recent inundation of new-age Instagrammable fusion food (of the likes featured on InsiderFood and Buzzfeed’s Bring Me channels) has disenchanted me. Nevertheless, I figured this new beginning in St. Louis and in college meant now was the best time to push myself out of my comfort zone. 

The interior of the store was a combination of the aesthetics of a lowkey bar and an arcade. In one half, there were colorful chairs and neon lights and in the other half, there were large black booths and darker-colored art. My friends and I arrived at the perfect time because the store filled up soon after we placed our orders. 

I ordered a chicken golgi bowl; it included salad mix, green onions, carrots, rice, fried egg, sesame oil, and spicy Gochujang pepper sauce. One friend ordered the bulgogi (beef) golgi bowl, another had tacos, and two friends got nachos and queso. All of the dishes were delicious. Personally, I liked the beef in my friend’s bowl more than the chicken in mine so next time I’m going to order the bulgogi. The egg and rice were the stars of the show: perfectly fried and seasoned! The queso in my friends’ meals was smooth and savory which complemented the crunchy tortilla chips incredibly well. Despite the risk of sounding too much like a Yelp review, I’d have to say 4.5/5 stars for the experience!