Summer Adventures @WashU: East End Tour

Whether you are a visitor or member on campus, you are bound to witness the ongoing construction. I’ve grown accustom to the tarp-lined fences on my way to class. When I left at the end of Spring Semester, construction was still being finalized. But it was completed by my return to campus in June.

A bonus that came with working for the College Prep Program was the opportunity to take a tour of Campus’ East End—the finished site of construction. The new campus addition, dedicated to our previous Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton, proved to be more than mere tarp fences and CAT machinery noises.

The rising sophomores in the College Prep Academy received a Sustainability tour. The tour included exploring the new East End. At this point you’re most likely wondering, “where is this new east end of campus?” Well, if you make a Right on Forsyth Blvd at the intersection near Forest Park, East end begins right around Givens Hall and ends by the Brown School of Social Work.

The tour started in the Brown School with an introduction by an environmental student organization. They explained the ecological logistics behind the aspects of the buildings we would see on the tour. Up and out of the lecture hall and into the beaming sunlight, Cohort 6, their Graduate Fellow, and Program Assistants begin to assess the recent renovation of campus. At some point, the group travels into Hillman Hall to witness its extensive interior and exterior arrangement. Hillman, in my opinion, is one of the most aesthetically pleasing buildings on campus—next to Olin Library. I believe that most of the buildings with giant, glass windows are immaculate and aesthetically satisfying.

The tour concludes with a VR demonstration; the students explore architectural features, learning about the way the East End simultaneously supports itself and respects the environment. One fun fact that I learned during the outside excursion is that one building has a special funnel system built into its roof for rain, instead of the traditional gutter system. The funnel system collects the water into the building and distributes it back into the soil for the plants surrounding the building.

I hope that Cohort 6 enjoyed the tour as much as I did. I appreciated seeing the flora and fauna that was trailed the the East End buildings.