Summer in STL Adventures: The Muny

I’ve loved theater (specifically musicals) since I was young. Having done technical theater in high school, I was excited to explore opportunities surrounding theater in college. My first semester, I took Introduction to Theater Production with Robert Morgan. The class, an “introductory study of the major elements involved with mounting a theatrical production,” also involved presentations from guests. One such presentation was from our professor who talked about the set design he had done at The Muny, an 11,000 seat outdoor amphitheater. Ever since hearing about the theater and their shows, I’ve wanted to go, and have finally been able to this summer!

The Muny season runs mid-June to mid-August, and throughout the season they’ll stage seven different musicals. This season (their 101st) the musicals are Guys and Dolls, Kinky Boots, 1776, Cinderella, Footloose, Paint Your Wagon, and Matilda. Although you can purchase tickets ahead of time, there are also 1,500 free seats in the back available on a first-come, first-serve basis. This is how I have been able to see both Kinky Boots and Cinderella this summer, which have both been amazing experiences. The casts are extremely talented, and many of the actors and actresses have been on Broadway recently, or previously been in the same production on Broadway that they are doing at the Muny!

I am planning on going to see the rest of the musicals this summer (hopefully meaning I will see five out of seven), but if you’re looking for a fun evening activity, The Muny is a St. Louis classic and must-do. Even if you’re not the biggest fan of musicals, the shows are spectacular and from the free seats, you’ve got a great view since the stage is humongous. Check out the remaining shows this summer below!

Cinderella: July 8-16

Footloose: July 18-24

Paint Your Wagon: July 27-Aug 2

Matilda: Aug 5-11