Over a month after finishing my first year at WashU, I still can’t believe it’s over. On one hand, it went by insanely fast. Sometimes I feel like I’m still about to go to college, rather than actually being in it. On the other hand, so much has happened since August of last year. I’ve learned so much about myself and made connections with people whom I can’t imagine not knowing. It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that so much has changed in just a year.
Looking back on the year now that I’ve settled back into my life at home in New York City, I’m feeling very sentimental and nostalgic. Here are some of my favorite memories from the year that I haven’t gotten to write about on this blog yet!
- Fall WILD- October 05, 2018
- WILD is the free concert in the quad hosted by the Social Programming Board every semester. In the fall, the performer was Carly Rae Jepsen, who rose to fame with her 2012 hit “Call Me Maybe.” I liked some of her music before WILD, but I enjoyed her performance that night so much that I have probably become the biggest Carly Rae fan I know. Her new album is amazing!
- MSNBC comes to campus- October 11, 2018
- The MSNBC show “Live with Katy Tur” filmed on campus in the fall, right in front of the Danforth University Center. I was in the crowd and my family was able to see me on TV! I even got to meet Katy Tur after the show.
- Rocky Horror Picture Show- October 19, 2018
- My friends and I went to a midnight showing of Rocky Horror at the Tivoli Theatre right on the Delmar Loop, a few minutes from campus. I’ve always been a Rocky Horror fan, but this was my first time seeing it in a theatre! Before the showing, we grabbed dinner and milkshakes from the famous Peacock Diner right across the street.
- Trick-or-treating- October 31, 2018
- One of my friends is from Shanghai and had never been trick-or-treating before, so a group of us decided to introduce him to the magic that is free candy by trick-or-treating at some houses right by campus. My friend and I went as Serena and Blair from “Gossip Girl.”
- Meeting Justin Baldoni- November 29, 2018
- “Jane the Virgin” actor and “Five Feet Apart” director Justin Baldoni came to campus to give a talk and lead a workshop about toxic masculinity. It was incredibly eye opening, and I even got to talk to him at a meet and greet afterwards!
- First Student Life production night as a section editor- January 20, 2019
- I was overjoyed when I was offered the position of Senior Scene Editor at our independent student newspaper, Student Life. The first night I spent editing stories in the Student Life office as we put the next morning’s paper together was endlessly exciting, and I have loved every single production night I’ve worked at since then!
- Lunar New Year Festival- February 2019
- I really enjoyed learning about and experiencing Lunar New Year Festival this past semester. The celebration kicked off with awesome fireworks shot off from Mudd Field that lit up the entire sky over campus. Later that week, I got to see my friend perform a traditional Vietnamese dance in the 23rd annual Lunar New Year Festival performance, which is a huge production featuring hundreds of students sharing their cultures. My friend, as well as all of the performers, was amazing!
- Finals week- May 2019
- Okay, I know this sounds bizarre, but I really enjoyed finals week this semester! My friends and I took fun study breaks such as going out to dinner, getting free ice cream sandwiches from the Danforth University Center, and playing Just Dance on Wii. Before heading to the airport the day after my last final, I went to the St. Louis Zoo with a few of my friends from Student Life. It was really nice to get to spend time with each other before heading our separate ways for the summer!
I’m so excited for all the new memories I will make this upcoming year!