1 Semester Down, 7 To Go: My Life at WashU

Hi there! Welcome to my blog. I’m so excited to get to share my life on campus with all of you, as I found these blogs extremely informative and enjoyable when I applied to WashU. Here’s a little bit about myself to get us started!

I was born and spent most of my early childhood in Los Angeles, but I have called New York City home for the last eight years, so it’s been really cool to get to experience the Midwest after living on both coasts. I started WashU as a first-year student this past fall, and I’m so excited to see where second semester takes me. I am currently undecided about my major, but I am specifically interested in the humanities and social sciences and am taking classes in History, International & Area Studies, and Political Science. I am also planning on minoring in Writing, as I greatly enjoyed a first-year seminar I took last semester called “The Literary Life,” which gave students the opportunity to explore different styles of creative writing through poetry, non-fiction, and fiction writing exercises as well as visits from working authors.

Me at the St. Louis Zoo hanging with our University mascot. Go Bears!

Aside from academics, I love being involved on campus as much as possible. Last semester, I performed in a student-written play through a student theatre group called Thyrsus (fun fact: Thyrsus is the oldest student group on campus AND the oldest theatre group west of the Mississippi River. I’m a huge theatre nerd, so being a part of a cast was a great way to start my WashU career, as I made great friends and was introduced to the theatre and arts community here on campus. I also wrote for Student Life, our independent college newspaper (which also happens to be the oldest independent college paper west of the Mississippi River). I wrote a variety of articles, including coverage of WashU and St. Louis news, reviews of films and student performances, and features on campus events, such as interviewing Antoni Porowski of Netflix’s Queer Eye when he gave a talk on campus. This semester I am serving as Co-Editor of the Scene Section, which mostly covers feature, experience, and advice pieces. I also just finished training to be a DJ at KWUR, our campus radio station. My weekly radio show will feature songs from musicals and film soundtracks, and I will provide interesting fun facts and history about the shows and films that I feature.

I can’t wait to keep writing for you all! Check back soon for more insight into why I chose WashU, how my experience has compared to my expectations, social life on campus, and cool extracurricular opportunities.

My dorm decor (my roommate and I won “Most Spirited Room” in the WashU dorm decorating competition)!