A Trip Away From Campus

One of the things that I rarely do (much due to time and accessibility constraints) is leave campus. I don’t “leave campus” by walking down the street onto the Loop or Forest Park. I mean, really “leave campus” and intentionally head somewhere that I normally wouldn’t. And something I do even less than leaving campus is going camping (see what I did there?).

That’s why when a large group of comrades and I headed to the small, rural city of Potosi, Missouri over the past weekend, I was eagerly looking forward to it. It was a time of relaxation and fellowship, and what better place for a group of girls to spend some quality bonding than in a quiet cabin next to a lake? There were plenty of activities to do — hiking, biking, boating — but honestly, nothing was better than walking alongside the lake and taking in the beautiful scenery. Some of us even woke up early (like, 6 AM early) to see the glistening sunrise rising over a surreal layer of morning mist.

Imagine waking up to this every day! 

I’m grateful to WashU for providing me with a community of people willing to do such wonderful and yet unorthodox things in the middle of the semester. Of course, it being midterm season and us being WashU students, we did spend a lot of time doing homework and studying (oh, yes — I was definitely preparing for that exam I had the following week), but I think every student deserves some time away from hectic school life to appreciate the things that we so often take for granted. I feel very lucky to have a place not too far from campus to be able to go to for rest and relaxation, even in the middle of a busy school year.

Missouri never fails to impress me with its surprises!

Tempted to travel down this path and never go back 🙂