Meet Me in St. Louis

This summer the Muny celebrated its 100th season, so to mark the special occasion their last show of the season was a production of Meet Me in St. Louis. The Muny, is America’s largest and oldest outdoor theatre and resides within Forest Park. 

Meet Me in St. Louis is a hit musical based on the 1944 film of the same name following the Smith family during summer 1903 while they excitedly anticipate the 1904 World’s Fair. The musical includes a hilarious yet touching family dynamic, romance, and heartbreak.

I first watched the film a couple years ago and absolutely loved it so I became incredibly excited when I realized that the Muny would be producing it this summer.

Watching Meet Me in St. Louis was my first experience at the Muny, and it was an amazing one! My friend and I bought tickets for $15 but the Muny also offers around 1,500 free seats on a first come first serve basis. Although we sat pretty far back that didn’t stop us from enjoying the show at all. 

It was the perfect summer evening, still warm but slowly cooling down. A beautiful sunset was painted across the sky as the audience buzzed with excitement.

The show started promptly at 8:15 p.m. and for the next couple of hours I was transported back in time to St. Louis at the turn of the century. I couldn’t help but bop my head along to all of the spectacular musical numbers throughout the show. If you haven’t seen the show or the film, do yourself a favor and watch it!

There was something magical in watching a musical about the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis in the place where it happened. Meet Me in St. Louis was the perfect show to end the Muny’s 100th season because of the amount of pride in St. Louis that it evoked from the audience.

Although I’m not originally from St. Louis, sitting in the audience and watching that musical made me feel overjoyed that St. Louis is slowly becoming my home.