St. Louis Spotlight: Soulard Farmer’s Market

St. Louis has been my home now for a little less than a year, but I still haven’t truly explored the city. This summer I’m making the most of my time to discover St. Louis as my city and make it my own. One of my favorite spots I’ve unearthed so far has been the Soulard Farmer’s Market. Before I say anymore, let me ask you a few questions.

Does the idea of buying ten mangoes for a mere three bucks sound incredible to you? What about eight cartons of strawberries for five dollars? Do you like hand made pasta or mini donuts that are fried in front of your eyes? Want to pet some bunnies or hold some baby chicks? If you answer yes to any of those questions, then I advise you to keep reading.

When I first visited the Soulard Farmer’s Market, a friend and I reserved a car through the Enterprise Carshare program on campus and drove 15 minutes down to Soulard, the French quarter in Downtown St. Louis.  It was a sweltering day, but the market was buzzing with activity. Like bees flying from one flower to another, people were flitting between the stands and cheerfully chatting with the vendors. I was a little overwhelmed because there was so much to see!

I spent the next hour or so marveling at the fresh produce and by the time I had left the market I had bought ten mangoes, a pound of grapes, a carton of strawberries, and a hot dog that hit the spot. My trip to the market was a truly fantastic experience, and a wonderful way to get my grocery shopping done.

The market is open year round, Wednesday through Saturday, and features a variety of locally grown goods including produce, meats, cheeses, spices, and so much more. So what are you waiting for, go explore!