Andrew D. Martin

Meet WashU’s New Chancellor

Andrew D. Martin has been appointed chancellor of Washington University, effective June 1, 2019. He will succeed Mark S. Wrighton, who has served as chancellor since 1995 and announced last year his intention to conclude his term in 2019.

Martin, 45, earned his doctorate in political science from Washington University in 1998, and was a member of the university’s faculty for 14 years, most recently serving as the Charles Nagel Chair of Constitutional Law and Political Science. He served as founding director of the Center for Empirical Research in the Law from 2006 to 2014, as chair of the Department of Political Science in Arts & Sciences from 2007 to 2011, and as vice dean in the School of Law from 2012 to 2014, when he left to assume his current role at the University of Michigan.

“It is an honor and a privilege to return to Washington University as its next chancellor,” Martin said. “I am the scholar, educator and academic leader that I am today because of my experience at the university and in St. Louis, and it is the realization of a dream to be coming back to the institution and the city that have meant so much to me and my family.”

“Washington University has emerged as an internationally renowned institution due to the transformative leadership of its last two chancellors,” he said, referring to Wrighton and Chancellor Emeritus William H. Danforth, who served as the university’s 13th chancellor from 1971 to 1995. “In assuming this role, I will be standing on the shoulders of giants. At the highest level, my goals as chancellor will be to empower faculty to achieve their greatest potential in scholarship and education, to strengthen all academic programs, to be a tireless advocate for the university, to recruit the most talented students — regardless of their previous educational opportunities — and to dramatically increase funded research. I also am deeply committed to strengthening the university’s role in the St. Louis region, building upon our partnerships and contributions as an employer, a driver of innovation and an economic engine for the St. Louis region. I am eager to roll up my sleeves and get to work.”

“It has been an honor to serve this university and the extraordinary people who make it a truly special place — our students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends,” said Chancellor Wrighton. “Andrew Martin is a highly accomplished scholar, an outstanding academic leader and administrator, and a distinguished alumnus of Washington University. Andrew will be an exceptional leader for our community. It is indeed a pleasure to welcome him home to Washington University.”