AEPhilanthropy

By a landslide, second semester sophomore year has been the busiest so far (and definitely the most fun.) As I mentioned in a previous post, I decided to take on a leadership position in my sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. This has been a high-contributor to my busy-ness, but in my first three months as VP Philanthropy, I have learned a lot.

As an ordinary member in the chapter my first year, it honestly just felt like the sorority ran itself, and the executive board was in place just to ensure everything went smoothly. It appeared this way because that is what it is supposed to seem like when the board is doing a great job, which they definitely were! Being a part of it now, I have learned that there is a lot more that goes on: hard decisions must be made, every event involves weeks of preparation and planning, and constant communication is a necessity.

Before, if I had question, I would trust Exec to work it out for me. One of the hardest things to get used to this year is that people now ask me for help or direction. This was a bit terrifying in the beginning, as I did not know if I always advising in the right way. What I have come to realize, however, is that I am the one determining what is “right,” and normally I can trust my gut. I’ve even come to enjoy the tough questions, because I know my help can make a difference. Although it can get stressful at times, it’s honestly so much fun being a part of a body who builds and shapes the future of our chapter, and maybe most importantly, I have made such great friendships through this role. AEPhi is a big chapter, and it is great to feel that I have a place in it.

I have learned how to be more assertive, cooperative, and better manage my time. I am proud to sort of renovate the role of VP Philanthropy as well. I have planned a couple new events so far this Spring, including a fundraiser at CPK to benefit our national philanthropies, and a donation drive for a local charter school.

This has been the best leadership experience I have had in college, (maybe in life) and I am looking forward to the rest of the year to keep getting better in my role.