Supreme Law of the Land

Now that Spring Break has come and gone, we are surely further than knee-deep in midterms season. In four of my five classes, I’ve had a pretty good handle on the rhythm of the course for at least a few weeks. I’ve learned the best ways to study and take notes in order to learn most efficiently.

Constitutional Law is my fifth class, which has taken me a bit longer to pin down. This course is definitely in high demand at WashU, and I consider myself lucky to have gotten in as a sophomore. The class is taught by Dr. Lee Epstein, an extremely impressive professor who seemingly knows everything possible about law, including distinct personalities of Supreme Court justices.

As this is my first course in law, having a professor with such a strong reputation was simultaneously daunting and reassuring. Sometimes I have found that when instructors are such incredible experts in their field, it is difficult for them to explain the most simple, rudimentary concepts to beginners. Especially with the cold-call style of participation in the course, I was a bit nervous.

I found pretty quickly that I did not run into this hurdle with Epstein. Even with her vast wealth of knowledge, she is still able to explain the basic concepts with clarity. Although the subject matter and style of teaching were new to me, I still felt that I was managing alright. Besides that, I REALLY enjoy the material. I mean genuinely love reading about the different cases and their consequences. While I felt that I was managing alright, we didn’t have our first exam until the week before spring break, and (not proudly) I am the type of student who needs validation of a solid grade in order to fell 100% sure that I am doing well in the class.

Reflective of my feelings, after the midterm I am more confident that I am understanding Constitutional Law correctly, and as I am beginning to look for fall semester courses, I am encouraged and excited to try out more law courses. Who knows, this Constitutional Law might be the start of something bigger in the future. 10/10 recommend.

(Cover image taken by Mary Butkus/WUSTL Photos)