Got Opinions?

It’s a crazy world out there, and if you’re interested in coming to Wash U, you’ve probably got a lot to say about it. There are a ton of outlets for student voices on campus! Radio shows! Podcasts! Blogs! You name it.

Of all the options, closest to my heart is ISSUES Magazine.

Okay, okay, I guess you could say I am a tad biased considering I’m a Senior Editor and sit on the Executive Board. But, that’s just a testament to how great the magazine is!

Officially, ISSUES seeks to “raise awareness of the intrinsic link that exists between art, design, and social issues” and “draw connections between both tangible and intangible aspects the social environment.”

Unofficially, it’s a place for students to share random musings and express virtually any array of opinions. Got a hot take on the new wave of radical feminism? Want to analyze the role of “the machine” in Black Mirror’s “San Junipero”? Or perhaps you just want a place to share your appreciation for the modern revival of brick-and-mortar bookshops?

I’ve found that for whatever is running through my mind, ISSUES is a place I can talk about it.

So, here’s how it works.

The lit mag puts out two publications a semester. Each issue has a specific theme, chosen by the writers, artists, editors, and exec board. Issues in the past have included the Power Issue, Divide Issue, Radical Issue, and more!

This quarter’s is the Revival Issue. We just got our copies fresh off the press a couple days ago!

I won’t lie, it’s pretty awesome.

After, we decide on a theme, all student contributors, artists, writers, editors, and designers, meet up to share content ideas and visions for the issue. These meetings always involve some pretty animated discussion about anything ranging from pop culture to the ethics of urban design.

Everyone gets a few weeks to work on their pieces to share in workshop. After everyone takes their editor’s feedback into considerations, we finalize the pieces and publish!

Within one or two weeks, nearly every newsstand on campus will have a fresh stack of ISSUES mags for students to pick up.

It’s one of my favorite feelings, walking through the DUC and seeing a student read an “issue” with their morning coffee or biking past a professor with one tucked under their arm to read through later.

It’s great to know Wash U students can share their voices.

It is even better to know they are being heard.