Ice Cream and Equality

Yesterday was cold (this is the Midwest, after all!), but I still found myself making the trek from the warm embrace of my suite on SoFoHo 2 to the small-but-spacious, modern-and-minimalist ice cream parlor in the Central West End that is Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams.

To be fair, I do love ice cream. In fact, I had been at Jeni’s just the week before, and for the first time had tried a delicious two scoops of their Cookies ‘N Cream and signature Xocorosa (a spicy chocolate, it’s life-changing, I swear) flavors. But today was different. It wasn’t the beginning of a glorious three-day weekend that had been afforded to me by my coincidental lack of Friday classes. No, today was Ice Cream for Breakfast Day. And yes, that’s a thing.

Ice Cream for Breakfast Day is a decades-old holiday dating back to the 1960s, when a mother of six from Rochester, New York came up with with the idea as a way to make her children’s snowy day-in a little more exciting. Jeni’s opened three hours early for the holiday, and proceeds went towards She Should Run, a non-profit organization which seeks to get 250,000 women running for elected office by 2030. I was overjoyed to see that Jeni’s was packed when my friend and I went to visit, and the long line was 110% worth the wait for such an incredible cause.

You probably wouldn’t expect an average ice cream outing to be so culturally or socially impactful. But that’s one of the amazing aspects of being a WashU student that has made my experience here so great. WashU (and the greater St. Louis community, as Jeni’s showcases) is an epicenter of culture, conversation, and creativity, and events catering to any and all interests such as Ice Cream for Breakfast Day at Jeni’s aren’t just commonplace, they’re regular fixtures of life in St. Louis!

Oh, and if you’re wondering, I got the Xocorosa again, and a scoop of Sweet Potatoes and Torched Marshmallow. And yes, it was amazing!