A Semester of Growth: A New Passion?

This semester, I told myself, would be committed to academics.

Well, if college has taught me anything, it’s that I should definitely not expect everything — or even anything — to go as planned.

Within this past month of spring semester, I’ve already realized a number of things:

1. Comp sci is not for the faint of heart (rather, not for those who have already deemed math as a field to be avoided).
  2. I’ve been missing out on the abundance of great restaurants in the St. Louis area (a blog post for another day?).
  3. I have never been so out of my comfort zone before in my life.

I had originally decided to take it easy and focus on my studies. After all, I knew that computer science and cognitive neuroscience would probably be challenging. I took a break from music; I’d done practically everything musically possible last semester, and I thought that I could use some time away. However, it wasn’t long before I realized … Geez, I really want to perform again. 

In came Spirit of Korea auditions. Honestly, I’ve always admired dance from afar but never thought that I’d have the dexterity or charisma to do it for myself. Furthermore, K-Pop has some of the most insane choreography I’ve ever seen (if you don’t believe me … look up BTS 🙂 ). One of my closest friends, however — a fantastic dancer, may I add — convinced me (and this took lots and lots of persuasion) to go to the auditions with her. “No dance experience necessary,” after all.

One thing about me is that I don’t like failure. I mean, I really don’t like failure. So, if I begin something, I have to see it through as far as possible. I went to the SoK workshops, I tried my absolute best (hours of practice … rewarded by lots of sore muscles), and awaited my fate.

I didn’t expect much. The experience had been fun, but I wasn’t a dancer.

And then, the results came out. I’d gotten in — wait, I’d gotten in?!

I was stunned, at first, and then the realization set in. I’m going to have to dance … like, for real. The disbelief quickly morphed into anxiousness.

I walked into the first rehearsals (which will be eight hours every week, may I add) with butterflies in my stomach. And dang, they were difficult. After the first day, I woke up with dull pain layering all of my limbs. However, after I got over my initial fear and nervousness, I realized that I was starting to enjoy the hard work. Seeing myself improving with every practice session and actually being able to follow along with the choreography … it was like watching a tiny seed’s first steps of growth into a plant.

Though I’m still at the beginning stages of this new passion that I’ve discovered, I would never have even realized that dance was so important to me had I not listened to my friend and taken that first step. Plus, this community is full of friendliness and people who want to watch you grow; the choreographers and planners of the huge event that is SoK are all WashU students dedicating their time and energy into this project to celebrate culture.

I love my heritage and I love music. The one thing I never liked was stepping out of my comfort zone. However, this time, I tried.

It looks like I’ll be standing on stage again this semester.

Hoping to look like this in a few months! Oh, dear…