Who Would’ve Thought?

If you had told me two years ago that I would be ever standing in front of 150 sorority girls, reading a speech about how they should elect me to represent them in any way, I would tell you that you had the wrong girl. I did not see myself as somebody who would ever join a sorority, let alone be an executive member, but here I am, and I’m so happy with it.

I decided to rush freshman year to expand my circle of friends, and become more involved with WashU. It was a stressful four days; I ended up joining a chapter in which I knew nobody. This made me extremely nervous at first. I felt that everybody already had all their connections, and I would be forgotten. My first friend was Rachel, who was a year older and was assigned to help me transition. Needless to say, she was very successful. I became close with her group of friends, which allowed me to meet more and more people both in her class and my own.  While we are all in the same chapter, we have very different personalities, and I felt that they appreciated me and made me feel unique in ways that I had not before.

One thing that I thought could be improved, however, was the way that we approached philanthropy–an integral part of Greek life. I started generating ideas of ways to better raise money for our chosen charities, and how we could get more involved with other causes in St. Louis. My friends encouraged me to run for VP Philanthropy 2018.

Last night, after a stressful weekend of speech writing and thinking of all the hypothetical scenarios that could go wrong, I read my speech, and I was elected into the position. I’m excited to have an impact on the chapter that has allowed me to grow and feel so much happier and integrated, and it feels especially fulfilling because I know that I can give back charitably as well. It will not be an easy feat, but I am definitely up for the challenge.

Who would’ve thought?