Sumers Rec Center

A year ago, my freshman year, Wash U completed this new state of the arts rec center. Although the South Forty Fitness Center is nice, since I personally prefer to run on an indoor track instead of a treadmill, I was very excited to see that the new rec center would contain an indoor track. Along with the indoor track, Sumers has a basketball court, a swimming pool, a cycling studio, raquetball courts, and a yoga/zumba/kickboxing studio. It also has the standard treadmills, ellipticals, weights, and various other exercise machines.

Gary M. Sumers Recreation Center at Washington University in St. Louis on November 3, 2016.
Photos by Dan Donovan/WUSTL Photos

Although I’m partial to the indoor track, there Sumers offers so many other ways of exercising. Last year, a couple friends and I used to go to the dark room cycling classes. I had never tried cycling before, but I found I really enjoyed the exercising with others while music encouraged us to go faster. The first time I went, I was a little confused about the specific exercises as a non-cyclist, but I quickly got used to them.

Besides the cycling classes, Sumers offers some pretty popular yoga classes. I’ve known multiple people who’ve taken the yoga classes and really enjoyed them. They mentioned that the classes are challenging but rewarding.

Before I graduate, I’m definitely going to try some of the other classes Sumers has to offer, especially since I enjoyed the cycling class so much. If you come here, I highly recommend checking out all the interesting classes Sumers has to offer or trying out some of the exercise machines. College can be stressful, making it difficult to find the time to focus on your health. Sumers offers a wide variety of ways to help you overcome that college stress, making it a vital Wash U resource!