WashU Musicianhood: The Beginning (a.k.a. oh, no – Auditions)

That feeling of nervousness and anticipation before an audition never goes away, despite how many times you may have experienced it. Every year, prospective musicians have to audition to get placed into WashU’s symphony, ensembles, or private lessons. And as that pre-school year ambition would have it, I’m doing all three this semester.

After having been part of classical musicianship for nearly 15 years now, I decided that it would be a waste of my love for and knowledge of music to not be involved during my college years. The good thing is … there are SO many different ways you can get musically involved here — whether you’re a singer, performer, musician, etc. And if you’re taking the time to join WashU’s symphony/ensembles/lessons … you even get credit towards your degree. So, of course, I jumped on the opportunity my freshman year. And I had a blast.

That’s why I auditioned again this year. Even with the numerous new faces joining us for the semester, the judges still remembered my name. And though my stomach was still doing those jittery flips up on that audition stage, I felt a little more at ease this time. Now, I’m juggling symphonic overtures, a piano trio, and a Vieuxtemps concerto all at once … and hey, I’m kind of happy about it.

If you even have the slightest itch to join a musical ensemble, don’t hesitate. What’s better than meeting talented people and playing great music (because, let’s be real; as much as we all love pop and hip-hop, there are those times where we just want to feel sophisticated while listening to Mozart [I mean … why else do they call it CLASSY-cal music?])?

And don’t even get me started on that beautiful E. Desmond Lee Concert Hall. Just standing on that stage makes you feel like a professional musician.

More details on the life of a – very – busy music minor coming soon. But for now … just take my word for it. You won’t be disappointed. đŸ™‚

So, grab your instrument, your body, your … vocal chords (figuratively?) and strut your way proudly into the WashU’s world of music. You’re just one audition away.

‘Til next time,
Grace