I Scream for Ice Cream

Once you realize that you don’t need a special occasion to eat ice cream, the second part of your life begins. My summer in St. Louis has been pretty much defined by ice cream. Cooking for myself is hard, so I have had ice cream for dinner more nights than I’d like to admit. Most importantly, every single Thursday, my ice cream partner-in-crime Alyssa and I tried new ice cream places around the city. There was a particular day where we were feeling tired and lazy, so we did have Dairy Queen once, but for the most part we visited a bunch of St. Louis-specific joints. Here are my thoughts on a few of the places (I know Ted Drewe’s Frozen Custard is a St. Louis classic, but it already gets all the hype, so I focused on some lesser known spots).

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams

If you are an adventurous person who likes to switch up your ice cream game, Jeni’s is the place for you. Located in the Central West End, this creamery has super fun seasonal flavors that are constantly changing. My personal favorite summer flavor this summer was Mocha Black Cherry, a coffee ice cream with cocoa nibs and a sour cherry ribbon. Sadly, I only got to eat it twice before it was replaced with a new batch of equally delicious flavors. Even if you’re not too much of a risk-taker, Jeni’s has some great staples, including both dark and milk chocolate. My favorite main-stay flavors are the light, summery Riesling Poached Pear sorbet and the salty and sweet Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Flecks.

Tower Grove Creamery

While the ice cream is great, the real draw of Tower Grove Creamery is the location. The creamery is on South Grand downtown right next to Dunaway Books, one of my favorite used book shops in St. Louis (they have a dog – what more could you want?).  South Grand is a really fun street full of thrift shops, artsy stores and restaurants in every cuisine you can imagine. In addition to traditional ice cream in a wide variety of flavors, Tower Grove Creamery also has a unique soft serve selection with many different types including gelato, frozen yogurt and sherbet. Always a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, I like that they had squeezable PB as a topping option.

Ice’s Plain and Fancy

Ice’s Plain and Fancy makes every serving to order using liquid nitrogen, so you get to watch a fascinating science experiment happen to create your creamy masterpiece. I have to admit, I have been biased writing this whole post because I am ~obsessed~ with this place, specifically their Peanut Butter and Chocolate flavor. To be honest, it is the only flavor I have had despite coming here many, many times so if you don’ like PB chocolate you can probably stop reading now. The chocolate peanut butter ice cream is particularly good because instead of a ribbon of hard peanut butter running through chocolate ice cream, the peanut butter mixes really thoroughly into the chocolate ice cream making it all one creamy texture. There are also chocolate chunks mixed in and peanuts added on top. Because every serving is made-to-order, each time you go is a slightly different experience, keeping you on your toes. Last fall my friends and I had the absolute perfect peanut butter and chocolate experience, with the perfect contrast between peanut butter and chocolate and the exact right chunk ratio, and I dream about it to this day. My fellow ice cream connoisseur Alyssa is so dedicated she even created an Instagram account dedicated solely to reviewing our scoops every time we go. If you don’t like peanut butter or chocolate, I have heard great things about their cookies and cream, the salted caramel and their coffee soft serve but I can’t speak from experience.

Honorable mentions:

• Clementine’s Naughty and Nice Cream
  • Mr. Wizard’s Frozen Custard
  • Boardwalk Waffles & Ice Cream
  •  Jilly’s Ice Cream Bar