A Day In The Life

I’ve been looking forward to writing this post for a while now. My days at WashU are always jam-packed with activities, but it rarely feels too overwhelming. Instead, my full schedule keeps me moving, and allows me to feel continuously productive. Each day is unique, as my class schedule differs. This past Monday was particularly eventful though, so I’d like to take you through it.

9AM: First alarm. I open up my blinds in my off-campus apartment to let the light in. Then, I snooze my alarm for at least thirty minutes, because I like to treat myself with a little extra sleep if I can.

9:30AM: Opening the blinds was a good idea because now I can easily get out of bed. Today’s schedule calls for a comfortable outfit that I can wear all day because I likely won’t be home until after 5:30.

10AM: I make my breakfast staple of hot oatmeal and a banana. I like to eat it at my kitchen table while I check my email. My roommates are either already on campus or they are running about just like me gathering their things for the day.

10:30 AM: Backpack slung over my shoulder, I leave my apartment and head to campus. I live right behind the Delmar Loop, which is about a 10-minute walk to school. I don’t mind walking at all. It’s usually beautiful out in the mornings, and even if it’s slightly colder, the sun warms me up.

10:45 AM: I make a quick stop at Holmes Lounge to get an iced tea. The woman who manages the register smiles when she sees me. Before I can speak, she says, “Black iced tea with soy milk?” and we both laugh. The Bon Appetite workers brighten my day with their energy and sincerity.

11:00AM: Iced tea in hand, I head on over to one of my favorite study spots: The East Asian Library. Not only is it perfectly quiet, but also the antique architecture creates a quintessential study atmosphere. I prepare a presentation for later that day, keeping an eye on the time because I have class at 1pm.

12:50PM: I print the necessary materials for my project, and meander on over to my Italian class. Today, we are learning new vocabulary and reviewing for our upcoming midterm.

2:00PM: Italian class concludes and I walk over to the DUC to meet my cousin who goes to WashU as well. We have the same lunch break on Mondays so we make sure to grab lunch every week.

2:30PM: Lunch is quick today, and I walk over to the Olin Business School for my Organizational Behavior class. I am the only non-business student in the class, but this presents a healthy challenge. I participate just as I would in an architecture class, as I enjoy sharing and gaining new perspectives.

4:00PM: I have to move quickly, because I have my Architecture Capstone class near the art school in 10 minutes. The work I did this morning paid off, because I am ready for my presentation. I am discussing Design Consultancy and how it relates to the architecture field.

5:30PM: I receive good feedback during my critique, and now it’s time to walk back to my apartment. I’m a bit further from home than usual, so the walk takes about 20 minutes. I have a snack to keep me entertained.

6:00PM: When I’m home, I have about 30 minutes to catch up with my roommates and just hang out. Then it’s time to go to orchestra.

6:30PM: I met my stand partner just a few weeks ago, and we’ve already become close friends. We play a variety of different pieces for two+ hours (with a break in the middle of course). It’s relaxing to get away from academics for a few hours and just play music.

9:00PM: I am finally home again. I admit, I am a little tired, but I also feel accomplished. I cook myself dinner and hang out with my roommates before we all go to bed. I usually keep my computer nearby when we are winding down, just in case I need to respond to a few more emails or finish a quick homework assignment.

11:30PM: I am in bed watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother, or Friends. I drift off to sleep…