Seeking: Friend

Dear Future Friend,

Let me break it down for you. I’m looking for a friend. Don’t get me wrong, I’m surrounded by some exceptional individuals. But you can never have too much of a good thing, right? People do this all the time. Usually they to introduce themselves, they exchange pleasantries, you get to know them one kernel at a time, you end up learning their likes and dislikes, what sets them off and calms them down. Three months later you’re friends. Whatever, let’s just get right to the point.

Hi, I’m Michael – If I am being long-winded I’d tell you I’m 20, from Portland, Oregon, studying Economics at WashU – but we’ll get to that.

Usually at this point we’d make some small talk about the weather, what you’re doing this weekend, or where you’re going for lunch, but we can bypass the pleasantries on the way to a long lasting bond — I’m not great at that stuff anyway.

My passions include music, skiing, working as an EMT on campus, eating great food, spending time with my family and friends, playing soccer, and watching impactful films.

I love listening to live music and putting my horrible dance moves on display. I particularly love music festivals – they are truly a unique experience that I’ve never found anywhere else. Some of my favorite artists include The National, Vanic, KanYe West, Drake, Banks, The Weeknd, Flume, Oh Wonder, and James Blake to name a few.

If we were friends we would definitely see live music, eat out around St. Louis – I’d show you great BBQ places like The Shaved Duck, Pappy’s, and Southern and other fantastic noms like Fork & Stix, Spice & Grill, and Sancturia. If we were friends I would tell you all about where I come from, what drives me, what fulfills me. If we were friends we would go thrift shopping. If we were friends we would study together too. When I would be about ready to call it quits and go to bed we’d go to John’s Donuts for an apple fritter and pour over our books for another hour. If we were friends, we would go to Cardinals games on the metro, always rooting for the home team. If we were friends we would play soccer on Mudd Field when the weather is nice and sled down Art Hill when it is so cold we can’t feel our fingers. If we were friends we would cook dinner and watch Game of Thrones on Sunday nights projected in a classroom somewhere on campus.

Ok, your turn, friend.