Food Truck Friday, the Most Magical Place on Earth

So for those of you who aren’t from the St. Louis area, you’d probably be surprised to hear that St. Louis has the second highest number of free cultural events throughout the year, after Washington D.C. Therefore, it’s a great place to live and an awesome place to be a student, too. One of these events, called Food Truck Friday, happens every second weekend in Tower Grove Park (near the Missouri Botanical Gardens) and is my absolute favorite thing to do in St. Louis over the summer.

As the name suggests, Food Truck Friday (FTF) is a magical time when many of the food trucks around St. Louis congregate in Tower Grove Park. You can spread out a picnic blanket, peruse the wide variety of foods available, and eventually line up and get your food! It’s a great way to try a wide variety of the culinary offerings in St. Louis, as many of the trucks are associated with local restaurants that have brick and mortar locations.

What we tried:

The Goods

The Goods

Our first stop was, of course, the cupcake truck, The Sweet Divine. 10/10 would recommend again. In fact, this is always my first stop at FTF, mostly because the one time I behaved like a real adult and saved dessert for last, they had tragically run out of cupcakes. Needless to say, I’m never making that mistake again.

The next stop was the Bombay Food Junkies truck, where I purchased something called the Munch Bowl. I honestly can’t tell you what was in it, other than it was vegan and delicious and will definitely become a staple in my FTF rotation. We also bought a mango lassi from them.

Finally, we found a taco truck that served lobster tacos, which I did not partake in (I’m living that vegetarian lifestyle) but got excellent reviews from my friend!

The aftermath, or, perhaps more appropriately, the carnage.

Up next, a few helpful hints in case you ever attend FTF.

PRO TIP #1: Get there early! The lines tend to start getting really long just before 5:00, and parking can be a nightmare! If you can get there early, you can make sure that you don’t have to wait for food too long and also that the food you want will still be available, as some of the trucks will run out of certain items (especially the dessert trucks).

Who knew FTF would be so popular? I did!

The crowd at FTF… Who knew it would be so popular? (I did!)

PRO TIP #2: I recommend bringing cash. Although most trucks will take credit/debit cards, some of them will charge convenience fees or require minimum purchases.

PRO TIP #3: Bring water! And, if you’re feeling fancy, other drinks such as pop, lemonade, adult beverages, etc. The stuff you bring in will probably be cheaper than what they’re selling, and, if you spend any time in St. Louis during the summer, you’ll understand just how key having water with you at all times is.

Happy Stomach, Happy Katie

Happy Stomach, Happy Katie

Love,

Katie

PS: in case my post has won you over and you now see the light and want to attend the wondrous experience that is FTF, here’s the official website and schedule.

https://foodtruckfriday.saucemagazine.com/
July 8 | 4pm-8pm
August 12 | 4pm-8pm
September 9 | 4pm-7:30pm
October 7 | 3:30pm-7pm