WU Shall Not Pops

Last Saturday, I performed in yet another WU Pops Orchestra concert. This year, the concert title was “WU Shall Not Pops” and the theme color was purple. My favorite thing about this concert is that my friends and family attended, even though it was the Saturday before finals week. The most memorable moment of the night, other than performing, was grabbing Insomnia Cookies right after 1.5 hours of playing! ☺

We had a photographer at the concert, and he took this picture of me playing. Wow, I look so focused. :O

WU Pops is a student-run orchestra that I’ve been in since first semester freshman year. This year, I served as the secretary and one of the concertmasters. It has truly been a fun learning experience—not only did I learn how to use Mail Chimp (large emailing website), but also how to fix a broken shoulder rest after the glue comes off. 😛 The musicians range from beginners who have just started playing their instruments to those who already have many years of experience but just want to play for fun.

Here is a picture of me with  my little sister and brother. My brother entered one of the raffles for a basket of prizes, and won the Lord of the Rings basket!

Here is a picture of me with my little sister and brother. My brother entered one of the raffles for a basket of prizes, and won the Lord of the Rings basket! He looks super happy, haha. 😛

Instruments in the orchestra include violin, viola, cello, string bass, harp, piano, percussion, piccolo, flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, bassoon, trumpet, French horn, trombone, euphonium, and tuba.

Here is a picture of violins in the middle of playing

We played a selection pieces, including Pines of Rome (Finale), Selections from Hairspray, Romeo and Juliet (Overture—Fantasy), An American in Paris Suite, The Sound of Music, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and What’s Up at the Symphony.

In addition to these large orchestral pieces, two of the smaller chamber groups, The Slanderous Saxes and The Carnivorous Strings both performed. The first one is an all-sax ensemble while the latter is an all-strings ensemble. Each ensemble played a selection of short, fun pieces (some of these were arranged by WU Pops musicians themselves).

At the very end of the concert, there was a senior send-off for graduating seniors. Then, everyone played a “senior piece”—this is a WU Pops tradition. Seniors vote on a piece that they have previously performed in the past four years, and everyone play it together. The sendoff was super bittersweet, and I’m sure lots of people would have started crying if we had not played Lord of the Rings (battle music!). 😛

Here is a picture of me with two friends who came to the concert

Here is a picture of me with two friends who came to the concert!

Anyways, here are some video clips from the concert! The first one is Hairspray and the second is Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.

~ Nancy <3