Flowers and Squirrels

Hi everyone!

As the weather in St. Louis gets warmer each day, many hidden beauties in Wash U also become more noticeable. Even though students are all super busy with homework and exams, there are always days when we can simply stop thinking about that one awful assignment to look around campus and enjoy the scenery. πŸ™‚

My personal favorites during these past few weeks have been the flowers and squirrels. To me, these two are, surprisingly, representative of the serene atmosphere that contrasts the stress associated with college, haha. πŸ˜›

Flowers are always so lovely to look at, especially in the early afternoon when the sun shines directly at them. I took a walk down to the engineering buildings to observe the newly bloomed flowers. The first thing I noticed was how pretty the pink looked! As I walked down the stairs toward Lopata Hall, I felt like a princess (I know this sounds silly!) walking into a royal garden of some sort. The stairs led to a pathway with trees on both sides. All of these trees had hundreds of pink flowers on them. Moreover, the architecture of the classroom buildings behind these trees accentuated the flowers. The browns and whites of the classrooms complemented the light pink. πŸ˜€

Here are a couple of nature pictures that I took (confession: I did use Instagram to crop and add a tiny bit of filter to these :P).

Processed with VSCOcam with hb1 preset

so much PINK

(This is what I mean by how the colors of the classroom buildings compliment the flowers!)

As I momentarily β€œescaped” the college environment to enjoy my surroundings, I also noticed the squirrels running around in the grass. Actually, I have been noticing more and more squirrels around campus. Some of my friends joke around and say that they have seen over 20 squirrels in a single field at once! I think squirrels define the lives of college students. They work so hard to get from place to place as they run around the grass, but they still have those moments when they stand still in one spot to munch on acorns or stare blankly into space.

Processed with VSCOcam with hb1 preset

This little squirrel was dancing near the Music Classroom Building on a Friday afternoon!

I love the presence of these squirrels, because they remind me to pause and observe my surroundings. The best thing is noticing the squirrels as I walk to class, because they are so adorable and help cheer me up before 90 minutes of lecture. πŸ˜›

My advice for everyone is to keep noticing the small things around campus as the weather gets warmer. Wash U has such a vibrant environment. Spring is completely different from winter, and summer is definitely different from winter. πŸ™‚

Every season, there is something new and special about the plants, animals, weather, and more! To enjoy the Wash U experience to its fullest, it is best to pay attention to these seasonal changes and appreciate them.

~ Nancy πŸ™‚