Settling In

So it’s three weeks into the new school year, I’m a junior, and I still don’t have my life together (hence the amount of time it took me to actually sit down and write my first post of the year). I’ve been spending the first couple of weeks trying to get used to everything and settle in: decorating my room, hustling between classes, trying to set up my work study for another long year…It’s been a whirlwind of activity and I keep finding myself coming home late, eating and immediately jumping into bed.

It’s not all bad though. I’m staying in the Greenway apartments which are really nice. I’ll post some pictures of my place and room later, but I still can’t get over the perks that come with living off-campus like this. First off, our apartment is about five minutes away from both campus and the Loop, aka Delmar Blvd. and home of some of the best restaurants ever. Secondly, I have a single about the size of the ones on campus but for a much cheaper price, meaning I can ball out on decorations and groceries with the extra money I’m saving. And lastly, we have an actual kitchen – with a refrigerator that actually has a freezer! – so we can cook our own meals instead of having to just accept whatever Bears Den is offering. It’s a lot to get used to but so far it’s been amazing and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Of course, there are a couple downsides with living where we do – some of which I saw coming and some of which I definitely didn’t. For example, I knew that we wouldn’t have housekeepers anymore so we’d have to pick up after ourselves and really scrub down our place. I was well aware that that would happen and came armed to the gills with cleaning products come in Move-in day. But what I didn’t know was that we would have to pay for our own cable package since WashU only provides cable for on-campus dorms and the Lofts, the new, fancy, ultra-expensive dorms on Delmar Blvd. Anybody living anywhere else would have to set up their own cable and, since I’m going abroad to Prague come spring, it would be wasteful to pay for a year-long package. So there’s ups and downs that comes with living where I do, but that’s to be expected. I’m still pretty satisfied to be honest.

I still have some more things to do before I’ll be settled in completely. I still have to buy some more tape to put up the extra posters I still have laying around and I don’t want to even think about the box of miscellaneous stuff I just kind of shoved into the closet. But I think I’m officially ready to call this home for the next couple of months!