WUStock 2015!

Guess who came to Wash U this past Saturday (April 4th)? MKTO!!!

The Congress of the South 40 is the largest student programming board on the 40. Residents on college council collaborate together to put on fun events for the student body. WUstock is one of these events!

WUstock is an annual concert put on by CS40! It is held on the Swamp on the South 40, which is the big open grass field in between all the freshman (and some sophomore) dorms. Students get to vote for their top choices earlier on in the school year. This year, the event lasted from 1 pm to 5 pm. Previously, WUstock featured artists such as Walk the Moon, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Gym Class Heroes, Matt & Kim, and Augustana. This year, for WUstock 2015, CS40 brought MKTO!

Check out the promo trailer for the event here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaAyV55Dets

I asked one of my friends who is on CS40, David Gumins, about WUstock, and he said, “WUStock today was the culmination of hundreds of man hours of labor. Over 1,200 students enjoyed inflatables, free food, and awesome music. I couldn’t be more proud of us all.”

Over 1,200 students attended the event. The appeal of the event wasn’t just MKTO, but also the other things about WUstock itself. For example, we had so many featured student performers. In addition to MKTO performing, there were also guest performances by DJ Christopher Rieger, Allen Q and Jammin with Phil, and 8 Dollars Off! These are all Wash U students that we see walking around campus everyday! In fact, Chris lives right next to me, and I’ve heard him working hard on the music for this Saturday the entire past week!

Aside from the music, which obviously makes up a big part of the event, there were also a lot of other fun things! There was an ice cream truck with FREE ice cream, lots of free food, a mechanical bull, inflatables, face painting, and more! Plus, it is a great environment to hang out with friends before the upcoming few weeks of stress+final exams.

When MKTO finally came on at 4 pm, everyone started shouting out loud (myself included…and I’m pretty sure that’s why I lost my voice, haha). It also started getting really crowded *really* quickly—a bunch of energetic college students all rushed towards the stage at once. I took a clip of the last song, Classic, check it out below! That was the song everyone looked forward to, and it was also a great closing song! [Also, side note: notice how many students had phones out to record the music while still dancing—wow, that takes skills].

Happy Monday!

~ Nancy <3