Go Beethoven!

The Music Department at Washington University offers students many performance opportunities. One of the most exciting and intimate programs is its chamber music program, directed by Dee Sparks, the Director of Strings. It is perfect for students who want to experience playing music with other musicians in a small chamber string ensembles, like in a trio, quartet, or even octet!

To find out more about the chamber ensembles, check it out the Music Department website: https://music.wustl.edu/ensembles/chamber-strings

I was put in a quartet in the beginning of the year as a violinist. I play with another violinist, a violist, and a cellist. We are all freshmen and plan to stick together for the next three years as an ensemble. We also have a unique “playing style”—we all love dark, sad, Romantic music. I remember all four of us cringing when someone suggested that we play some happy Mozart music!

In addition to rehearsing once a week for an hour with our music coach, Dee Sparks, we also practice for an hour every Saturday morning.

In last semester’s chamber concert (it was held in the Ballroom Theater in the 560 Music Center), our group performed two movements from Borodin’s String Quartet No. 2 (1881): I. Allegro moderato and III. Nocturne-Andante.

This semester, we are working on Beethoven’s String Quartet No. 4 in C minor, Op. 18 (1952). For our upcoming Chamber Concert on April 10th, we are planning to perform two movements: I. Allegro ma non tanto and II. Andante scherzoso quasi Allegretto.

Go Beethoven!

~ Nancy <3