13 Things I Learned at WashU in 2013

Hello, world of my blog. It’s been a while.

Last semester was crazy, but in the best kind of way. It was full of friends, classes,  singing, acting , and just pure fun. Since classes are just getting started this semester, I thought I’d give a neat little recap of fall semester before things become too hectic. So here’s my list of 13 things I learned at WashU in the year 2013.

1. Don’t be afraid to try something new. (Example: a cappella, student theatre)
  2. Major in what you love, and pursue that passion as well as you can. Last semester, part of the reason I was so busy was because I was discovering things I loved–singing and theatre–but I was also discovering some things that were distracting me from efficiently doing what I love to do. I was over-concerned with building a résumé, so I ended up overworking myself. If you’re pursuing what you love, the résumé will build itself.
  3. Take classes you know nothing about. One of my favorite classes last year was macroeconomics. I’d never taken an economics course in my life, and I learned so much and really enjoyed the professor. So take something that sounds interesting–you’d be surprised at what you’ll learn.
  4. Make friends with upperclassmen. And underclassmen. In high school, my closest friends were in my grade. In college, that changed, and it was wonderful. Upperclassmen can give you fantastic advice because they’ve already been where you are now, and you can impart that knowledge onto your underclassmen friends because they really appreciate it. (Shoutout to my senior friends–love y’all. Don’t leave me.)
  5. This one goes along with #4: Cherish moments with your friends, and don’t take them for granted. College is about making friends, so don’t miss out. Studying is important, but so is friendship.
  6. Be you. College is a time to reinvent yourself, and what’s better than reinventing yourself into yourself? (That makes sense, right?)
  7. It’s ok to take a study break. School is hard, I know. But even when academics have got you so busy that you can’t even fathom how you’re going to do all of your work, take a break. Watch television. Play a game. Just do something for yourself for a few minutes before you get back to studying. Your brain will thank you for it.
  8. Network, network, network. Make connections. Utilize social media in the most productive way possible. You never know what opportunities could arise from that one time you befriended that person you met in the hallway outside one of your classes.
  9. Take advantage of all campus resources. The Career Center. Academic tutors. They’re there to help you, and they’re great at what they do. Befriend your professors and advisors. Don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know.” WashU is all about setting its students up for success, but they can’t help you if you don’t ask for help.
  10. Explore, and this time I don’t mean academic interests. St. Louis is a rather spectacular place to live, and there’s so much to do. Make time to eat on the Loop or go to the City Museum. Break out of the bubble, and get yourself off-campus sometime.
  11. Preparedness is your best friend. Be prepared. For classes, for the weather, anything. Preparedness leads to success, and procrastinating just makes things more stressful. So don’t do it. Time management is key.
  12. Clean your room. You live there, so clean it once in awhile. (Yes, this is what I learned.)
  13. Call your family every once in a while and tell them you love them. They’ll appreciate it more than you know.