Curtain Call 2013

My first concert as a member of the Ghost Lights was last night, and I had a great time! Stormy weather aside, it was a super fun night, and I really enjoyed singing some of my favorite songs alongside some of my favorite people!

Some of the highlights from the night:

• I graduated from newbie status to old-bie! (Because with one concert under my belt, I’m totally an old pro. Ha.)

Ghost Lights newbies (featuring some wonderful accidental photobombing)

• Singing the Death Medley: At the beginning of the semester, one of our amazing seniors Erin presented the idea that we sing some of the most famous death scenes in musicals (because there are so many of them) and “kill off” our entire a cappella group in hilariously dramatic ways. Of course, we were all for it! We got the music in February, and it’s been our group’s big project for the semester. The medley covers a wide variety of musicals, including “West Side Story,” “Cats,” and “Rent,” just to name a few, and features A LOT of props. (Fun fact: we spent the majority of our budget this semester on fake plants for the “Little Shop of Horrors” moment in the Death Medley.) Whenever a person “died,” he/she put on a halo to wear for the rest of the song. I had so much fun acting and singing during it, and the audience loved it too!
  • Making it through my first solo:  I sang Anastasia’s part from the song “Once Upon a December” and even waltzed during the vocal break. Though I was initially worried about singing in front of so many people, I made it through with lots of encouragement from my group. Fortunately, it wasn’t nearly as scary as I thought it would be!

With last night’s performance, I am reminded of how much I love my a cappella group and just the people at WashU in general. So many friends came out to support us last night, even in the midst of really heavy rain, and I am thankful to have people who will be there for me, in spite of “A Little Fall of Rain.” (Bad pun, I know, but we sang that too.)