Dorms, dorms, dorms

734053_517948094894639_1906662665_n

My room the day after I moved in. Since then, I’ve moved the furniture around and added a lot more decorations.

One of the things that I love about WashU is the dorms. And I don’t just mean the rooms. They’re great, but it is the community that makes dorm life at WashU so wonderful.

I live in a single, so I don’t have a roommate, but I share a suite with three other people. Like many people that attend WashU, I didn’t know anyone before I got here, so I chose to have three random roommates. Luckily, we all get along great, and they’ve become some of my closest friends since we started school in the fall.

488118_10151211097612463_371558693_n

Megan, Riowena, and I at a pool party at our floormate’s house. He’s from St. Louis, so he invited our entire floor over to his house one weekend.

398147_517869554902493_413311577_n

Katherine and I having fun before finals week last semester

But it’s not only my suitemates that make my dorm great. WashU has what are called residential colleges, and your res college becomes your home away from home. Interacting with your res college is like interacting with your family: you eat dinner together, study together, or even take trips together. Just last night, I had the opportunity to eat dinner with my res college’s faculty fellow–a member of the faculty who lives in the dorms with you–and half of my floor. Your res college just becomes a vital part of your college community, and your RAs, RCD (residential college director), WUSAs (Washington University Student Associates–think of them as the big brother and big sister for each floor), and faculty fellow will always be there to answer any questions you may have.

Our floor enjoys playing board games with our WUSAs and our RA. Every Friday, we have WUSA time, and our WUSAs bring us food. It’s a great end to the week.

Some of my floormates decided to dress up for our floor meeting. Official floor meetings take place about once a month.

There are so many reasons why I love WashU, and the dorm community is just one of them. I can’t wait to share the rest of them with you.

But for now, as they say in my res college, chomp! (That’s gator-speak for “Until next time!”)

My res college on move-in day. (Photo credit goes to my RA, Brian.)