What’s in a Dorm Room?

Just last Sunday, July 1, 2012 the WashU Class of 2016 received their room assignments and I am excited to welcome you, Class of 2016, to the WashU dorm life! I honestly believe that WashU has some of the very nicest dorms in the entire country, and for that matter probably the entire world, but I also realize that a dorm room, with roommates, is not something you’ve experienced before. I want to show you how a dorm room can be transformed into your own home!

As a freshman I chose a triple room in traditional housing and I honestly wouldn’t trade my assignment for the world! I know a lot of people who feel that way at WashU in both traditional and modern dorms. Regardless of your room assignment you are going to have an extraordinary year, so enjoy it!

In August, before class started, both of my roommates did Pre-O (Pre-Orientation) programs, so I was the last one to arrive to campus. Logically, I was assigned the top bunk. I was a little nervous, to say the least, about spending an entire year on a top bunk, but my excitement for college completely overpowered my nerves, and for good reason too.

One of my roommates sent me a photo of our room before anyone had unpacked, see below:

Empty Traditional Triple

Within just a few hours of my arrival we de-bunked the beds and started unpacking. Within a few weeks, the room was home: the ceiling plastered with huge posters and christmas-tree-lights, the walls covered in photos and tapestries, and the desk and shelves cluttered with our clothes, books, and whatever else we could fit. On a more practical note each dorm room comes with a bed, mattress (with adjustable height and often Tempur-Pedic!!), closet, desk, bookshelf, chairs, and some drawers.

A view of our ceiling 

Brownies and friends

Honestly, a dorm room can be transformed into whatever you want or need it to be. It can be a cozy study area, a movie-night hangout or a music haven. It might be clean or it might be cluttered, quite or LOUD, warm or chilly or anywhere else  in between. It might be where you spend the majority of your time, or it might only see your shining face when you come home late to crash on your much-too-comfortable mattress. It might have an early bedtime or it might have a ridiculously late one. The exciting part is that it’s all up to you now!